Inspired by the BFI's list of essential kids films, I've created a huge list of 100 fabulous family-friendly films for all ages to enjoy.
From Charlie Chaplin to Coraline and everything between, there's something for everyone in this extensive collection which would make a great basis for a DVD library or your LoveFilm rental list!
|Image credit: kennymatic, via Flickr|
1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)A ship sent to investigate a wave of mysterious sinkings encounters the advanced submarine, the Nautilus, commanded by Captain Nemo.
2. A Day at the Races (1937)A vet posing as a doctor, a race horse owner and his friends struggle to help keep a sanitarium open with the help of a misfit racehorse.
3. Anastasia (1997)The only surviving child of the Russian Royal Family hooks up with two con men while the undead Rasputin seeks her death.
4. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)When Prince John and the Norman Lords begin oppressing the Saxon masses in King Richard's absence, a Saxon lord fights back as the outlaw leader of a rebel guerrilla army.
5. Back to the Future (1985)In 1985, Doc Brown invents time travel; in 1955, Marty McFly accidentally prevents his parents from meeting, putting his own existence at stake.
6. Ben Hur (1959)When a Jewish prince is betrayed and sent into slavery by a Roman friend, he regains his freedom and comes back for revenge.
7. Beauty and the Beast (1991)Belle, whose father Maurice is imprisoned by the Beast (really an enchanted Prince), offers herself instead and finds the prince inside the Beast.
8. Bicycle Thieves (1948)A man and his son search for a stolen bicycle vital for his job.
9. Billy Elliot (2000)A talented young boy becomes torn between his unexpected love of dance and the disintegration of his family.
10. Bridge to Terabithia (2007)A preteen's life is changed after befriending the new girl at school.
11. Bugsy Malone (1976)A gangster movie where all the gangsters are children. Instead of real bullets they use "splurge guns" that cover the victim in cream.
12. Children of Heaven (1997)Zohre's shoes are gone; her older brother Ali lost them. They are poor, there are no shoes for Zohre until they come up with an idea: they will share one pair of shoes...
13. Cinderella (1950)When Cinderella's cruel stepmother prevents her from attending the Royal Ball, she gets some unexpected help from the lovable mice Gus and Jaq, and from her Fairy Godmother. When Cinderella's cruel stepmother prevents her from attending the Royal Ball, she gets some unexpected help from the lovable mice Gus and Jaq, and from her Fairy Godmother.
14. Clueless (2009)A funny and clever reshaping of Emma, Clueless offers a soft satire that pokes as much fun at teen films as it does at the Beverly Hills glitterati.
15. Coraline (1999)A young girl walks through a secret door in her new home and discovers an alternate version of her life. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life - only much better. But her adventures are soon revealed to be dangerous...
16. A Christmas Story (1983)Ralphie has to convince his parents, teachers, and Santa that a Red Ryder BB gun really is the perfect gift for the 1940's.
17. The Dark Crystal (1982)The last of the Gelfings, Jen and Kira join forces and embark on a dangerous journey to "heal" a precious Dark Crystal and restore order to their planet.
18. Dumbo (1941)Mrs. Jumbo wishes for a baby, but when the stork finally delivers, the baby has a distinctive enhancement - gigantic ears.
19. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)An extra-terrestrial is accidentally left behind on Earth and is befriended by a young boy and his brother and sister.
|E. T. - The Extra-Terrestrial|
20. Edward Scissorhands (1990)When a mad scientist meets an early death his creation is left to fend with scissors for hands.
21. Enchanted (2007)A classic Disney fairytale collides with modern-day New York City in a story about a fairytale princess who is sent to our world by an evil queen. Soon after her arrival, Princess Giselle begins to change her views on life and love after meeting a handsome lawyer. Can a storybook view of romance survive in the real world?
22. Fantasia (1940)A collection of animated interpretations of great works of Western classical music.
23. Fantastic Mr Fox (2006)An urbane fox cannot resist returning to his farm raiding ways and then must help his community survive the farmers' retaliation.
24. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)A high school wise guy is determined to have a day off from school, despite of what the principal thinks of it.
25. Fiddler on the Roof (1971)In a Tsarist Russia, Jewish peasant Tevye faces upheaval when his traditions are challenged. Within his family when his daughters rebel against marrying men chosen by the matchmaker and on a national level when the Jews are threatened by pogroms.
26. Finding Nemo (2003)A father-son underwater adventure featuring Nemo, a boy clownfish, stolen from his coral reef home. His timid father must then travel to Sydney and search Sydney Harbour to find Nemo.
27. The Goonies (1985)A band of young boys find a treasure map and embark on a magical adventure.
28. Great Expectations (1946)Young Pip is expected to become a blacksmith, but, hating the soot and smoke, he secretly dreams of becoming a gentleman.
29. High School Musical (2006)Troy and Gabriella - two teens who are worlds apart - meet at a karaoke contest and discover their mutual love for music.
|High School Musical|
30. Home Alone (1990)A young boy learns to fend for himself after his family accidentally leaves him at home while they go off on their vacation in France for Christmas.
31. Howl's Moving Castle (2005)When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking home.
32. How to Train your Dragon (2010)Meet Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, heir of the Viking chiefdom, but a boy with one very big problem: a hero he is not. "How to Train Your Dragon" is the riotous story of Hiccup's quest to hunt down the fiercest dragon, bring it into submission, but along the way he learns that dragons do not deserve their fierce reputation...
33. The Iron Giant (2009)A boy makes friends with an innocent alien giant robot that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy.
34. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed.
35. James and the Giant Peach (1996)An orphan with terrible aunts for guardians, befriends human like bugs who live inside a giant peach, who take the boy on a journey to New York City.
36. Jason and the Argonauts (1963)The legendary Greek hero leads a team of intrepid adventurers in a perilous quest for the legendary Golden Fleece.
37. Jumanji (1995)When two kids play an old magic board-game they found, they release a man trapped for decades in it and a host of dangers that can only be stopped by finishing the game.
38. The Karate Kid (1984)A handyman/martial arts master agrees to teach a bullied boy karate and shows him that there is more to the martial art than fighting.
|The Karate Kid|
39. Kes (1969)A young, English working-class boy spends his free time caring for and training his pet falcon.
40. The Kid (1921)The Tramp cares for an abandoned child, but events put that relationship in jeopardy.
41. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)A young witch, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service.
42. Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998)In a little village somewhere in Africa, a boy named Kirikou is born. But he's not a normal boy, because he knows what he wants very well...
43. Kung Fu Panda (2008)Po the Panda is the laziest animal in all of the Valley of Peace, but unwittingly becomes the chosen one when enemies threaten their way of life.
44. La Belle et la bête (1946)Adélaïde, Belle, Félicie and Ludovic are young adult siblings who once lived in grandeur until their father's merchant ships were lost at sea... An unfamiliar yet still entrancing version of the popular fairytale.
45. Labyrinth (1986)15-year-old Sarah accidentally wishes her baby half-brother, Toby, away to the Goblin King Jareth who will keep Toby if Sarah does not complete his Labyrinth in 13 hours.
46. Lilo and Stitch (2003)A tale of a young girl's encounter with the galaxy's most wanted extraterrestrial. Lilo is a lonely Hawaiian girl who adopts a small ugly 'dog,' whom she names Stitch.
47. The Little Fox (1981)Famous, great hunters, better stay away, here comes Vuk! (They say he is cunning as a fox!)
48. Lord of the Rings (2001-2003)I a small village in the Shire a young Hobbit named Frodo has been entrusted with an ancient Ring. Now he must embark on an Epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it.
49. Mamma Mia! (2008)The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.
50. Mask (1985)A boy with a massive facial skull deformity and biker gang mother attempts to live as normal a life as possible.
51. The Mask (1994)Bank clerk Stanley Ipkiss is transformed into a manic super-hero when he wears a mysterious mask.
52. Matilda (1996)A gifted girl, born to completely unsuitable parents, discovers her true destiny, magical powers, a kindhearted teacher and an evil schoolmistress in this tale by Roald Dahl. Gifted girl, born to completely unsuitable parents, discovers her true destiny, magical powers, a kindhearted teacher and an evil schoolmistress in this tale by Roald Dahl.
53. Mary Poppins (1958)A lavish modern fairy tale celebrated for its amazing special effects, catchy songs, and Julie Andrews's legendary performance in the title role.
54. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)Irrefutable proof that gentle sentimentalism can be the chief ingredient in a wonderful film, Miracle on 34th Street delivers a warm holiday message without resorting to treacle.
55. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)Monsieur Hulot comes to a beachside hotel for a vacation, where he accidentally (but good-naturedly) causes havoc.
56. Monsters Inc. (2001)Monsters generate their city's power by scaring children, but they are terribly afraid themselves of being contaminated by children, so when one enters Monstropolis, top scarer Sulley finds his world disrupted.
57. My Life as a Dog (1985)A boy and his brother don't get along well. In order to let her ill mother rest, they're separated and sent each one with their relatives.
58. My Neighbour Totoro (1988)When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wonderous forest spirits who live nearby.
59. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1996)In Halloween Town, Jack Skellington is bored and unhappy with the life of being "The Pumpkin King". He sets out to find something exciting and discovers Christmas Town...
|The Nightmare Before Christmas|
60. Oliver Twist (1948)Based on the Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist is about an orphan boy who runs away from a workhouse and meets a pickpocket on the streets of London.
61. The Outsiders (1983)When two poor greasers, Johnny, and Ponyboy are assaulted by a vicious gang, the socs, and Johnny kills one of the attackers, tension begins to mount between the two rival gangs, setting off a turbulent chain of events.
62. Pather Panchali (1955)A boy named Apu is born to a poor Brahmin family living in its ancestral village in Bengal, India in 1920. The father, Harihar, a poet and lay priest, earns so little money that the family can barely keep going. Each day is a struggle for survival.
63. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)Eccentric man-child Pee-Wee Herman embarks on the big adventure of his life across the US mainland, as he sets out to find his beloved bike, when it is stolen in broad daylight.
64. Peter Pan (2003)The Darling family children receive a visit from Peter Pan, who takes them to Never Never Land where an ongoing war with the evil Pirate Captain Hook is taking place.
65. The Princess Bride (1987)A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).
66. Princess Mononoke (1999)On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Princess...
67. The Polar Express (2004)A young boy lies awake in his room one snowy Christmas Eve, excited and alert. Breathing silently. Hardly moving. Waiting. He's listening for a sound he's afraid that he might never hear--the ringing bells of Santa's sleigh.
68. Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002)In 1931, three aboriginal girls escape after being plucked from their homes to be trained as domestic staff and set off on a trek across the Outback.
69. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)Archeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the US government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.
|Raiders of the Lost Ark|
70. The Railway Children (1970)Simply and faithfully adapted for the big screen from the classic children's novel, The Railway Children evokes a poignant nostalgia for the period in which it is set--Edwardian England--and for the childhood of anyone who has grown up watching it.
71. The Red Balloon (1956)Six-year old petit garçon Pascal Lamorisse and the biggest, shiniest red balloon ever share near dialogue-less adventures tagging after each other through the old Belleville section of Paris.
72. Romeo + Juliet (1996)Shakespeare's famous play is updated to the hip modern suburb of Verona still retaining its original dialogue.
73. The Secret Garden (1993)A young British girl born and reared in India loses her neglectful parents in an earthquake. She is returned to England to live at her uncle's castle. Her uncle is very distant due to the loss of his wife ten years before. Neglected once again, she begins exploring the estate and discovers a garden that has been locked and neglected.
74. The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)A young girl searches for a little brother who she believes has been raised by the half-seal and half-human selkies. The boy disappeared as an infant when his cradle was swept out to sea as his family evacuated Roan Inish, an island on the West coast of Ireland.
75. Singin' in the Rain (1952)In 1927, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are a famous on-screen romantic pair. Lina, however, mistakes the on-screen romance for real love. Kathy Selden is brought in to provide a voiceover for Lina's lacking ability, and while she is working on the movie, Don falls in love with her. Will Kathy continue to "aspire", or will she get the break she deserves ?
76. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)The fairy tale of Snow White, a beautiful young maiden cast into a deep sleep by her evil step-mother, but rescued from the dark magic spell through the love of handsome Prince Charming.
77. Some Like it Hot (1959)When two musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.
78. The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)In a remote Castilian village in 1940, a bright eight-year-old with a wonderfully fertile imagination struggles in the oppressively hive-like and spiritually empty home her bee-keeping father heads. When she befriends a wartime fugitive, she pictures... In a remote Castilian village in 1940, a bright eight-year-old with a wonderfully fertile imagination struggles in the oppressively hive-like and spiritually empty home her bee-keeping father heads. When she befriends a wartime fugitive, she pictures him as a reincarnation of Boris Karloff's outcast monster in "Frankenstein"...
79. Spider-Man (2002)Spider-Man started off as shy high school student Peter Parker, until he was bitten by a radioactive spider, giving him amazing abilities. Over time he learns that with great power comes great responsibility.
80. Spirited Away (2001)In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.
81. Stand by Me (1986)After the death of a friend, a writer recounts a boyhood journey to find the body of a missing boy.
82. Star Wars (1977)In a distant galaxy, a long time ago, young Luke Skywalker assembles his motley crew of allies including space rogue Han Solo and two droids -- C3PO and R2D2 -- to rescue Princess Leia, the rebel leader of her planet from the clutches of the evil... In a distant galaxy, a long time ago, young Luke Skywalker assembles his motley crew of allies including space rogue Han Solo and two droids to rescue Princess Leia, the rebel leader of her planet from the clutches of the evil Empire as embodied by its enforcer Darth Vader.
83. Summer Hours (2008)Two brothers and a sister witness the disappearance of their childhood memories when they must relinquish the family belongings to ensure their deceased mother's succession.
84. Superman (1978)An alien orphan is sent from his dying planet to Earth, where he grows up to become his adoptive home's first and greatest super-hero. The original superhero movie (and so far, the best incarnation of this hero).
85. Swiss Family Robinson (1960)A family in route to New Guinea is shipwrecked on a deserted tropical island. They are forced to remain on the island because of the damage to the ship and the pirates that are roaming the islands. Plenty of adventure ensues as the family deals with issues of survival, pirates, and the brothers must learn how to live on the island with an uncertain future.
86. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)Atticus Finch, a lawyer in the Depression-era South, defends a black man against an undeserved rape charge, and his kids against prejudice.
87. Toy Story (1995)A cowboy toy is profoundly threatened and jealous when a fancy spaceman toy supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.
88. Up (2009)By tying thousands of balloon to his home, 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. But just after lifting off, he finds Russel, a Wilderness Explorer, has become a stowaway on his trip.
89. Wallace and Grommit in the Wrong Trousers (2003)Wallace is used by a criminal penguin in a robbery involving mechanical trousers.
90. Wall-E (2008)In the distant future, a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.
91. Walkabout (1971)Two young children are stranded in the Australian outback and are forced to cope on their own. They meet an Aborigine on "walkabout": a ritualistic separation from his tribe.
92. Watership Down (1978)The home of a colony of rabbits is threatened with destruction by human developers. Hoping to escape and to save their community, the rabbits, led by Hazel and Fiver, seek out a safe place to set up a new warren.
93. West Side Story (1961)This romantic musical update of 'Romeo and Juliet' won ten Oscars. The tale of a turf war between rival teenage gangs in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen and the two lovers who cross battle lines has captivated audiences for four decades.
94. Whale Rider (2002)A contemporary story of love, rejection and triumph as a young Maori girl fights to fulfill a destiny her grandfather refuses to recognize.
95. Whistle Down the Wind (1961)When an injured wife murderer takes refuge on a remote Lancashire farm, the owners three children mistakenly believe him to be the Second Coming of Christ.
96. The White Balloon (1995)Several people try to take advantage of a little girl's innocence to hustle money her mom gave to her to buy a goldfish with.
97. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)A toon hating detective is a cartoon rabbit's only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder.
98. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)A poor boy wins the opportunity to tour the most eccentric and wonderful candy factory of all.
99. The Wizard of Oz (1939)Dorothy Gale is swept away to a magical land in a tornado and embarks on a quest to see the Wizard who can help her return home.
100. Yellow Submarine (1978)The Beatles agree to accompany Captain Fred in his Yellow Submarine and go to Pepperland to free it from the music hating Blue Meanies.
Which films are your family favourites?While there should be many familiar titles in this list, there are probably some unfamiliar films too.
Which ones are your favourites? Have you found a new favourite film which the whole family enjoy, or perhaps I've missed out something you heartily recommend?
Please feel free to leave your comments and opinions below.